7/07/2013

Appendix 3

Just a few quotations I want to get down before I return this book (the one on mixed-blood Aboriginals).

My mother's cousin owns a shop on the reserve, so we go and visit her every now and then. I was up at the reserve recently, and I went to see her. And she gave me a really big hug. I think it was a turning point for me. It was almost as if receiving a message - "It's okay, you can come back. You're a part of this family now." Maybe I always was but this was an acknowledgement of it. It felt really nice.
- A "C-31" Story

But you know, I still feel kind of disconnected, sometimes, around who I am. Because when I really put it in perspective, coming from an Indian family - there's not one person in my family that has not been affected by some kind of violence. I have cousins in prison. I have people who killed themselves. I have alcoholism and residential school. This is my blood family, but I still feel pretty disconnected from all of those experiences. It's hard to explain, because genocide touched me in a different way.
- An Adoptee's Story

These excerpts are from the stories found in the appendix. They are the last two in the section (in the order presented) and I can't help but think that the author had indeed intended the ordering of these notably varying accounts.

I'm definitely going to try and pick up a copy of this book somewhere (though it's definitely available on Amazon, I'll check the bookstore first).

No comments: